Saturday, January 4, 2014

The thing about real love...

originally posted December 10, 2013

I have always felt like I had to do stuff or know things in order to gain the affection of people.

And the thing is, all love is supposed to be unconditional and Christ-like.

Jesus pursued me when there was nothing good about me. And He saved me not based on anything I had done or any amount of theological knowledge I may have had. He could've stopped right there and I still would go to heaven and spend eternity with Him.

But He didn't.

He is now sanctifying me. And it is only AFTER He first loved me that I began to be able to serve Him with works that are fueled by His love; not to ensure my salvation/love from Him, but simply as a response of submission to Him.
Romantic love should be the same way. A man should love me not for any amount of theological knowledge I may have (all because of the Spirit anyway), or not because I can cook, or any other thing he may like about me... He should love me because he is choosing to, regardless of all of that other stuff, because you can't always feel love.

It's the same with other relationships. There have been few people in my life who have not had expectations of me; people who have chosen to love and care for me because they want to, not because of what I can do for them. And I am so grateful for the example of Christ that they are to me!
Because when it comes down to it, no amount of doctrine is going to get whoever my husband will be one day and I through living paycheck to paycheck, changing all the dirty diapers, the countless sleepless nights, and the days when the feelings just aren't there. No, doctrine just simply won't do. Because it's all about Jesus!

Jesus is sweet and loving to teach me this. He puts joy, unexplainable joy, in my heart. He breathes peace over me. He is patient through all of my prideful struggles. He is kind for continuing to capture my heart. He is good because He is God. He is faithful because that's His character. He is gentle because really, gentleness is power under control.

He is beautiful, and I love that I am His.

No comments:

Post a Comment