Saturday, January 4, 2014

23rd Psalm.... again.

originally posted December 22, 2013

I don't know about you, but hearing the 23rd Psalm over and over again had gotten real old.

It is read at every funeral, a psalm that is preached on quite often in church, it is hung on so many walls in homes... I never understood why this passage was my Gramma's favorite.

Until today.

The Lord so graciously opened my eyes to the wonder of this Scripture, piece by piece.


The Lord is my shepherd;
He is my guide, my friend, always with me.

I shall not want.
There is nothing else in this life that I need. I literally shall not WANT because He is my everything!

He makes me lie down in green pastures.
Jesus wants me to rest. In Him.

He leads me beside still waters.
Jesus cares for me as a shepherd cares for His sheep. He takes care of me when I am well and when I am sick.

He restores my soul.
Jesus is the only One who can do this! My soul runs weary at times, and I feel like I cannot go on. And He breathes more life right back into me!

He leads me in paths of righteousness
Not only did Jesus save me, He called me to live a holy life. I would not choose righteousness if not for His grace and He knows this... so He actually takes me down paths of righteousness...

for his name's sake.
AND IT'S ALL FOR HIS GLORY! Me leading a holy life is ALL to make His name famous!

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
It is a FACT that I will have low times in my life. Not just low, lower than low... because the enemy is out to get me. He does not like that I am in love with my King and he is plotting against me for that very reason. There will be vallies, many of them.

I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
BUT I have no reason to fear, because my God will never leave me! He not only has armed me for this battle, but He is fighting right alongside me. And guess what? He wins!

your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
The Lord disciplines those He loves just as a father disciplines his child. My Shepherd's rod and staff do not intimidate or shame me... they bring me JOY because He is purifying me, refining me, sanctifying me!

You prepare a table before me
Oh! My KING prepares a table for ME! He calls me to come dine with Him, to feast on the Bread of Life!

in the presence of my enemies;
And yes, it is in the presence of my enemies that I dine with my King... celebrating in our ALREADY victory!

you anoint my head with oil;
I am my Lord's honored guest at His feast and He anoints my head!

my cup overflows.
Jesus blesses me constantly and I have an abundance of grace, joy, peace, life, and love.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
God is good and He is mercy and He is never leaving me; He will be with me always.

and I shall dwell n the house of the Lord
I can quiet myself in God's assurance of an eternal home with Him.

forever.
What a beautiful thought! Forever with my Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment