Friday, January 10, 2014

I am Ephesus.

I am Ephesus. 

For that statement to make sense, I need to explain to you what Ephesus is, in turn showing you my heart.

Ephesus was known as the gateway to Asia and its people were proud. One source of both pride and income to this city was actually religion, as Ephesus was the site of the great Temple of Artemis. Religious institutionalism was the heart and center of the social and economic lives of the Ephesians.

BUT THEN, the Lord established His church in Ephesus and the people there latched on to His Gospel quickly! 

Paul later writes a letter to the Ephesians about the great mystery of the Church. Oh, what a blessed theme! A thing unrevealed in the Old Testament but unveiled now after the resurrection of Christ. 

In a nut shell, the letter first starts out proclaiming that the believer's identity is now in the righteousness of Christ and then leads into how the believer should live in response to his new identity. 

And the Ephesians did this! They followed the command to live according to their new identity.

Sounds good so far, right?

Well, then we get to Revelation chapter 2 where Christ addresses the seven churches of Asia minor, Ephesus being the first church addressed in verses 1-7.

This letter starts out addressing the specific church by name, "Ephesus"; Christ is showing there is a personal relationship there between Him and His Bride.

Next, Christ is identified, alluding back to His majesty displayed in the preceding chapter.

Then, Christ expresses His knowledge of the church. He tells the Ephesians that He knows of their good works, their perseverance, their commitment to sound doctrine... all of those good things that the church in Ephesus was known for, Christ knew very well.

BUT.

"But," He says, "I have this against you, that you have abandoned the love you had at first."

Wow. Jesus straight up tells the church that He knows how "good" they are, but their problem? They have abandoned HIM! They have gotten so caught up in doing "good things" for people, enduring trials with patience, and studying their theology to the tee, that they have forgotten their Lover. 

They have forgotten how He romanced them, swept them off of their sinful, stumbling feet and planted them on solid ground. 

They have forgotten how Jesus pursued them while they were yet sinners, not because they deserved it, but simply because of His character.

They have forgotten how before, their "good deeds" were fueled by a response to His love, not as something to make their names known.

And then, sweet, sweet Jesus doesn't just stop with that rebuke. No, He gives HOPE! He tells them
to remember. 
Remember where they came from. 
to repent.
Repent of this pride.
to repeat.
Repeat the works they did at first, fueled again by love and not pride.

Christ then says, "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."
This word "hear" can actually be more accurately translated from the Greek to mean "do." 
(Example: Your parent/spouse tells you to take out the trash. How will your parent/spouse know that you have HEARD what they told you to do? Because you DO it.)

And He gives His Bride a promise. He promises that she will be with Him forever in paradise!

Just like wedding vows... eternal wedding vows.
---------------------------------------------------------------                                                              
Now, I want to talk to you a little bit about the heart. Specifically, my heart... and all others' who have become slaves to doctrine and good deeds.

I do all of the "good deeds," so to speak.

I have patiently endured through several trials.

I have committed myself to the study of sound doctrine.

But may I tell you a secret?

So many times, it has been fueled by pride. I "did" to be known. I "endured" to talk about it later. I "studied" to pridefully criticize... all the while, my eyes were focused on Linzy instead of Jesus.

BUT GOD, in His grace and mercy showed me the areas of my life that the Gospel did not have traction in!

His Spirit in me moved me 
to remember.
Remember who I was, and who I would still be, apart from the blood of Christ.
to repent.
Repent of my selfish, prideful attempts at gaining fame and affection.
to repeat.
Repeat all of the passionate works that He placed in my heart to begin with, but this time for Him.

May I just tell you how incredible it is to be romanced by the King of the universe? He never stops lavishing His love on me! We never get out of the "honeymoon" phase where I am constantly being doted upon and reminded how beautiful I am, how much He loves me, and how He looks forward to spending eternity with me.

No, there is no end to that lavishing love from my Warrior, 
Who has fought for me and won.
Who delights in me.
Who dances and sings over me.
Who carries my burdens.
Who comforts me.
Who leads me.
Who changes me to be more like Him.

And I, like Ephesus, will receive the fulfilled promise of spending forever with Him.

Just like wedding vows... eternal wedding vows.

No comments:

Post a Comment